© 2015 St. Paul Lutheran Church • 220 The Grove Road • Gatesville, Texas 76528 • The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
Past - Our congregation had its beginning with a Wendish Lutheran Christian family from Weigersdorf, Germany - The August Winkler family. It was in Serbin that the Mother Church of Lutheran Wends in Texas came into being. This church was the first Missouri Synod Lutheran Church in Texas. St. Paul Lutheran Church, in The Grove, was organized in 1883, by German farmer William Winkler (son of August Winkler) and other pioneers. These German pioneers sailed to North America on the Ben Nevis. Following the 1854 immigration, other Wends came later on other ships. The first services of St. Paul Lutheran Church were held in the homes of the members. By 1896 members erected a Sanctuary on Winkler's farm and had called Rev. Huge as their first full time pastor. The original church was 3 miles east of the present structure on Highway 36. The original cemetery still stands there. In 1907 the congregation built a new church at its present site, and in 1917 the church was rebuilt because of needed space. This is the building currently in use. The inside of the church was remodeled in 2001 and the outside of the church, the Parish Hall and the Family Activity Center were remodeled in 2005 and 2015.
Present - We are a church that is alive and worth the drive. We are a church that is excited about doing the work our Heavenly Father gives us to do. Our members drive from all around to be a part of the family of faith we call St. Paul, The Grove. We have members joining us most Sunday mornings from much of Central Texas. Our Heavenly Father has richly blessed us with people excited about the work that He gives us to do.
Future - Right now it looks as if we are headed into parenthood as plans are in the works to give birth to a daugther congregation in the Killeen/Harker Heights area. We pray that by the grace of God and His guidance we will be able to plant a daughter congregation in 2016.